View topic - Storm Sail?

Storm Sail?

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

Storm Sail?

Postby pjolliffe » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:24 pm

So in our ever present quest to identify our albacore... I took out our mystery sail that came with the boat we purchased.

The main sail we have been using is quite large and has a black AL stitched up top. The head of the sail almost meets the top of the mast and the clew very close to the outhaul.

This mystery sail has a blue AL and a number 717* off the top of my head. At any rate, I sailed it yesterday morning and noticed there was several feet left at the head of the sail to the mast and a few feet from clew to outhaul. The foot of the sail also didn't have the rope that is stitched in to feed into the boom.

Is this a storm sail? It is significantly smaller than the regular sail.
pjolliffe
Lubber

Re: Storm Sail?

Postby townsend » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:26 am

Sounds like the "mystery sail" is from some other class. For a mainsail to be class legal in the Albacore class, it has to have a bolt rope in the foot to slide in sail track in the boom. This sail is "loose footed" which is a configuration that you see on a Laser or V15.

I can't really speculate on what boat this sail came from, but it was probably intended as a storm sail for use in heavy air. I have a suit of sails from a 420 that I've used on high wind days, so it's not unheard of.

Here's a brief into on loose footed vs attached: http://www.fxsails.com/article_loosefoot.php
Paul Townsend - Albacore 6040 - Michigan Albacore Fleet
townsend

Re: Storm Sail?

Postby Gregg » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:20 pm

Sounds very much like an Albacore storm sail.

The community clubs in Toronto had a batch of mainsails cut down (bottom panel was removed) for classes to use in higher winds. A cringle and slider were put on at the clew, and a loop of rope added to extend to the outhaul.

These have proved very popular and have resulted in fewer classes being cancelled as well as reduced boat damage.
Gregg

Return to General Discussion