View topic - Albacore repair tips? New owner needing help.

Albacore repair tips? New owner needing help.

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

Albacore repair tips? New owner needing help.

Postby pjolliffe » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Hello from Vancouver Island Canada,

A group of us have purchased an older Albacore (1988) and are preparing it for sail. Despite its age, the boat is relatively intact with all rigging in good order, no holes or weak spots in the fibreglass and only a few battle scars in the paint.

My question is this, upon cleaning the inside of our newly acquired boat... we noticed that the lowest part of the seat.. where it meets the floor at a 90 degree angle is lifting when significant weight is placed next to it. That is to say (without a photo) the aft section of the boat, where one would sit inside the boat next to the tiller and follow the vertical section of the bench you are sitting on, to where it seamlessly meets the deck... is lifting a few millimetres.

What is the best solution to repair this portion of the boat? Would a bunch of fibreglass strips seal it up properly?

I will try and get a video up on youtube for help. Thanks!
pjolliffe
Lubber

Re: Albacore repair tips? New owner needing help.

Postby henry » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:29 pm

A photo or photos would certainly help.

I think that what you;re referring to are the seat tanks. They may be "seats" but their primary function are sealed air tanks to maintain buoyancy in the event of a capsize. If they are not properly sealed then the boat may not be safe to sail.

Show us the situation. I'm sure there will be lots of help available.
Henry____
CAN 7700: Baldrick's Cunning Plan
CAN 7707
henry

Postby pjolliffe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:05 am

Ok, so I went down to the compound and took some video for you guys. Hope it's not too shaky for ya...

http://youtu.be/YQrW_bQEpYU
pjolliffe
Lubber

Postby henry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Read the attached article on repairing your buoyancy tanks. It's pretty straightforward. Colloidal Silica is a West System product, but you can also use something called "cabosil" which is pretty much the same thing. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
http://home.ca.inter.net/~henryp/buoyancytanks.pdf

With respect to hiking straps, best thing to do is to visit your local wrecking yard and ask the yard boss for seat belts. Chances are he'll let you cut the seat belts out of any old car in the yard. You can make nice hiking straps out of old seat belts, and really nice hiking straps out of two seat belts sewn together to form a double layer. You can then punch brass grommets into them strategically to attach to the floor mounts in your boat, and add another single strap from that floor mount all the way to the transom. That aft hiking strap is handy when you're up on a planing reach.
Henry____
CAN 7700: Baldrick's Cunning Plan
CAN 7707
henry

Postby pjolliffe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:10 am

This article is fantastic... it seems they did the entire boat bow to stern... if i only have 2 feet of separation on both sides... is it worth it to do all of it... or am I cutting corners by mending the 2 feet either side?

The boat itself doesn't take any water on when sailing and there are no obvious leaks. When we return to the compound, the only water that is drained is from the little water that enters when we launch from the beach.

BY the way, we only have 1 plug. I have been reading in various posts, they have tank plugs or bungholes...

What are my tanks filled with? Are they all connected? My two benches are level with the bow... which has some space just below the bow deck for storage.

Is this something where I should bite the bullet, mend both sides and install some inspection ports?

Finally... who is my manufacturer? The ID Plate on the transom says:
MFR:38959
SER:88-338-069
CONTR:8472-B-MP02
STK:1940-21-900-2813

I know one is a manufacturing number, the other serial. Don't know what STK or CONTR stands for.
pjolliffe
Lubber

Return to General Discussion