View topic - The Return of Whitby #13

The Return of Whitby #13

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

The Return of Whitby #13

Postby VentureGuy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:34 pm

Well, after four years of small repairs and a few windless attempts, I finally managed to get this 1961 Whitby Albacore #13 out under sail power again! According to the friend of mine who gave it to me, it was the first time the boat had been out on the water and sailing in at least 30 years. He actually used to sail on this particular boat when he was a kid, so it was pretty neat for him to join me out there. I certainly appreciated his help with handling it---I am not a small boat guy; I grew up sailing on a 1972 Venture 2-22. I am typically happy knowing that there are 500+ lbs of ballast below the waterline, along with plenty of freeboard. Without heavier weather, and/or a serious goof up on my part, I know that that boat will remain upright and out of trouble. However, I am especially nervous about capsizing the Albacore.

The gel coat is faded, the stays are just starting to fray at the turnbuckles, the running rigging is old, and the itsy bitsy outboard didn't behave itself well; but she stayed dry and afloat, and the sails are clean and held wind like they're supposed to.

My friend is a small boat guy, so he had a lot of fun freaking me out by heeling the boat excessively (to me, anyway) while pretending not to notice what was going on. The wind started out infrequent and light, but then stabilized at around 6mph. This made for lively enough sailing to have fun, but not so much that I wanted off of the boat. After a few scares designed to show me what the boat would do, I began to relax and enjoy the cruise. My friend had me man the helm for a while, and then we switched off so he could take a turn. We practiced a few different tacks, and even caught a few looks and praising remarks from some of the power boaters out there. By the time we went back in, we had stayed out on the water for about 4 hours. It was a lot of fun, and I would have been very happy to stay out for another hour if I wasn't already an hour later than I had told my wife I'd be heading back home.

In the end, we had a lot of fun out on #13. I need to replace the side stays, replace just about all of the teak, repaint the centerboard, repaint the bottom, and get that itty bitty outboard to run properly....but I still found this old Whitby to be a surprisingly enjoyable little sailboat. Not that I'll ever give up my old V2-22; but it's safe to say that the Albacore is here to stay, too.
VentureGuy

Re: The Return of Whitby #13

Postby crufone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:07 am

Hello Venture Guy,
I too have an early Whitby Albacore. MY hull # is 156518. So I an assuming that is 1965 Hull# 18. It is hard to believe that only five hulls were built between your 1961 boat and mine in 1965. FYI I purchased three new shrouds in 2012 from Rigging Only for less that $150.00. The fellow I worked with was Tom and everything about my order was spot on. Good people there. Tele: 508.992.0434.
I will be starting to work on my boat again this summer. Perhaps we can share some boat photos with each other and can see what each other has done to their boats.
Michael Whitby #6518
crufone
Crew Member

Postby VentureGuy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:28 pm

Hey, crufone,

You have a hull number on yours? Mine doesn't...I checked all over the place and never found one. I relied on information from members here and research online to figure out when it was made. I haven't done any real upgrades yet, but I'll have to share some photos when I do.

Have you sailed yours yet?
VentureGuy

Postby crufone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:29 pm

VentureGuy,
Boat mfg's. were not required to identify their hull #'s until sometime in the early 70's, 1972 I believe. But I do know the hull numbering scheme utilized by Whitby. My full Id number is 156518. Deciphered it is "15" foot length, followed by the year "65" followed by the number built in sequence from the beginning, "18". As far as I know the last digits represent the total mfg. of that model. This is not the 18th built in 1965 but the 18th built from the beginning of production.

At least that is how the Alberg 30's mfg. by Whitby are identified. I have some Whitby information that states they built 333 hulls from 1961 thru 1965. So something somewhere is wrong.

I have not sailed my boat as of yet. I have been ill as of late and am just now getting back to that boat. I plan to complete my refit and then trailer her down to Florida where I live in the winter season. Paul Townsend has been of great help by providing me with information. Search Whitby Albacore on this forum and you will discover my correspondence with this group.

You will discover that Peter Duncan, Paul Townsend and many others are very active and helpful for the Albacore Class. I suspect that they will jump in on your thread as well.
Michael Whitby 6518
crufone
Crew Member

Return to General Discussion