View topic - Newbie sail# 6971

Newbie sail# 6971

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

Newbie sail# 6971

Postby Heinrich » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:12 am

Hi all,

We bought our Skene Albacore sail# 6971 about a month ago. She is in decent shape and we went on lake Ontario twice last week. Both of us, my girlfriend and I are total newbies to sailing, but this forum and youtube are wonderful resources.
The boat has white hull and pale blue deck. I am fairly confident that the sail number and hull match, the number is marked upside down on the inside of the transom. There is a worn Skene label on the CB trunk cap.
The mast is Proctor, tapered with inside halyards. The boom is also Proctor with mid boom main blocks and a small sheave in the aft end-cap for the outhaul.
Also, there is no jib halyard tensioning device, just a cleat on the mast same as for the mainsheet halyard. For the time being we used the turnbuckle on the forestay to apply rig tension instead of the jib halyard, that worked just fine in light air.
Sails are clean, in good condition and a bit baggy with a Storer Sails label, the AL symbol and KC number.

I would be very thankful if anybody could dig out any more info about the history of this Albacore. The boat was last sailed a few years ago on a small lake (Preston Lake) north of Toronto by owners living nearby, this is all I know.

Hull and deck and thwarts are of GRP, show no cracks but the buoyancy tanks are peeling off the bottom big time, that will be my winter project. There are no scuppers on the transom, just a drain bung port side of center.
There were some puzzling details I first tried a dry rigging. For example the outhaul was not just missing, but it looked as if it never was any. Apparently the previous owner just used a 3 ft piece of 1/4" line to tie the mainsail clew to the end cap of the boom.

We acquired the Albacore with the intent to learn to sail and have fun and so far we were not disappointed. We live in Oakville, Ontario and keep the boat on its trailer, launching at the Oakville harbour ramp. First time on the water we had zero experience sailing, the wind was 8-10kt from South and we had to paddle our way upwind out to open water. We decided to only hoist the main sail to keep the "crew's" work load low while figuring out how to go forward...(Ok, I admit, I forgot the jib bag in the garage).
It was a bit hard to get moving but ten minutes later we were doing tacking exercises as seen on youtube and we had a blast, girlfriend at the helm and me sail trimmer.
Second time on the water we were less lucky, the wind died while we were rigging before launch but we went on anyway catching whatever puffs we could, and while the wind was so weak that the sails (this time we had the jib up) were flopping with the rocking of the boat and at times I had to hold the boom on leeward by hand, the boat was still doing 1kt or so on a reach so this was a useful experience anyway.

So far, as we wanted to go sailing before the weather turned too cold, I only addressed the obvious details, leaving the more time consuming work for winter.
Installed a 4:1 outhaul system inside the boom with the line exiting the boom 1ft aft the gooseneck and cleated to the boom with a sea-dog clamcleat, works great and looks like it belongs.
The rudder needed a new tiller which I made from 1" dia aluminum tubing. The hiking rudder stick that came with the boat is made of round aluminum tubing as well.
I sanded and varnished the rudder board which was in good condition other than worn finish and a few nicks.
We replaced the main sail halyard, the jib halyard is next (at least the rope part, the wire portion seems good)

Next on the to-do list are the buoyancy tanks. They need drying and sealing at the joints with the hull. There is some water trapped in the bow tank, I can hear some sloshing when I tilt the trailer, but it is below the drain bungs level such that it is not draining even with the trailer tilted all the way back.
My plan is to install 5" ports (that I ordered from APS but haven't arrived yet) on each tank and see about the foam situation as well. I am inclined to use pop bottles rather than pool noodles, but I can't figure a way how to drink so much bottled water in such a short time and still be able to sit through a whole meeting at work.

Thanks for reading my rant, and if anybody has more info about the Albacore sail # 6791, please share

Cheers,
H
Heinrich
Lubber

Re: Newbie sail# 6971

Postby Chrisgo3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:00 am

Great post! Ok you have a circa 1980 Skene. That company put out a lot of boats until a couple of years after yours when the shop burned down. KC was not used as a country designation after the Olympics in?? where they wanted tv footage and people to understand who represented their country. KC (Kingdom of Canada) became CAN. So you have a fairly old set of sails. If you take a trip to the Toronto community clubs in the Outer Harbour, you can see actual rigging and not diagrams, talk with very knowledgeable people and find a source for parts and used sails.Your boat was likely purchased for cottage use as it has no jib halyard tension adjustment or outhaul. Upgrading rigging really makes the boat easier to control.
It sounds like you may have a mid sheeting mainsail, can you post a photo?
[BINARY BLOB DATA]
Chrisgo3

Postby Heinrich » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks Chrisgo3.
Yes, it has mid sheeting mainsail without a traveler. Sooner rather than later that will be changed to a split-tail sheet system, i shall take your advice and snoop around at Outer Harbour for inspiration.
"Kingdom of Canada", I didn't know that KC stood for that. It sound ancient indeed :)
I shall post some photos but so far I haven't taken any, too busy rigging and de-rigging and my iphone stays behind in the Jeep when the Albacore goes on the lake. This weekend the weather has been un-cooperative and the boat sat under its tarp.
I am really not too keen to go out on the lake in anything more than 6-9kt before I seal the bouyancy tanks. I do have a frog-man wet suit somewhere but I'd rather either not sail upside down or keep the dip in the drink short if it happens. Leaky tanks and my inexperience make for a chilling combination.

Cheers,
H
Heinrich
Lubber

Postby Heinrich » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Happy Thanksgiving (Canadian)!

My inspection hatches arrived from APS, along with new ronstan drain bungs. The inspection hatches are Viking 5", polypropylene.
I am making my first attempt at posting a link to photos of the work in progress:

If that is not working here is the URL:
https://picasaweb.google.com/104340662061374505710/Albacore?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKr8kpndsrYe&feat=directlink

I chose to locate the inspection ports in the seating surface of the tanks for two resons: a) a top access lets me reach better into the tanks particularly when I fix the pealing floor joint and b) I cut the ports and I can later work with them standing outside the hull rather than stomping in the boat on the trailer.

The foam peanuts look like new on the surface, but the bags seem heavy. I ran out of time yesterday and never got the chance to pull out a bag to see what is below. However, there was no musty smell when opening the tanks although I did drain rainwater from all tanks and there are open cracks at the lower seam of the tanks all around the boat (except for the wide-footed area ahead of the thwarts).

I shall pull out the peanut bags and post some pics as soon as the turkey dinners stop interfering.

Cheers
H
Heinrich
Lubber

Return to General Discussion