View topic - S-hooks for jib halyards

S-hooks for jib halyards

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

S-hooks for jib halyards

Postby townsend » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Anybody know of a source & part number for the S-hoooks commonly used on Albacores for the jib halyard? I'm not seeing anything in the usual catalogs...

Thanks.
Paul Townsend - Albacore 6040 - Michigan Albacore Fleet
townsend

Re: S-hooks for jib halyards

Postby georgecart » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:35 pm

I think that good options are: Allen HA 4659 welded SS hook or Ronstan RF48A hook, or RWO R8440 hook
georgecart

Postby normofthenorth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Last edited by normofthenorth on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm Rubin
Toronto
normofthenorth

Postby normofthenorth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:22 pm

I think a prior question is what the purpose is, and how it will be used. I love to detach my vang from my boom when rigging, so I can sit behind the mast while the boat's tied to the dock, while I fddle with the main halyard and Cunningham -- without the vang chasing me out of the boat with every wind shift. So I rig with an easy-open "hook" at the boom. My own preference is for strong cheap mild-steel carabiners -- the kind with the interlocking "teeth" that secure the hinged "gate" to the fixed "J". I can usually find them somewhere for $1 or $2 (often in dollar stores in the US), and they're plenty strong as long as they're latched properly. SS S-hooks work fine there, too, but they're more likely to catch on the crew's PFD or belt etc. than a closed carabiner.
I think most other Albacore sailors (including most of my TISC club-mates) leave the vang attached all the time, and let it chase them off the boat while they're rigging at the dock. If that's your style (and if the vang only gets disconnected once or a few times per season, when the mast comes down), then why not just use a standard SS shackle? (Yes, I also occasionally disconnect it during drifter races. . .)
Norm Rubin
Toronto
normofthenorth

Return to General Discussion