View topic - Quick hello, and a few questions

Quick hello, and a few questions

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

Quick hello, and a few questions

Postby fearcity » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:25 pm

Hello, brand new Albacore owner here from Chicago area... Chicago Sailcraft Albacore number 5227 to be exact.

Boat is in decent condition, and I'm currently doing some fiberglass work on her, mostly around the chain plate areas, she needs a little strengthening...

One question I have, is on the buoyancy tanks....how exactly do these work, are they strictly sealed off from the rest of the boat? They have two bungs that are sealed with rubber plugs towards the lower middle of them.

My Albacore, has a "rear compartment" area, as well as a "front compartment" ...that are sealed off via fiberglass doors secured with wing nuts.

Is this a normal design?? Seems like auto bailers, or any bailer for that matter, would be impossible to have on this boat.

Boat I believe, is a 70's vintage I think....

Also, is it normal for there to be a "void" between the hull bottom, and the floor of the cockpit?? There's quite a bit of give when stepping in the boat on the trailer, with some spider cracking of the fiberglass....I'm thinking about next spring, completely re glassing over the floor area for some added strength....thought I read somewhere that this is normal for these boats??

I'll throw some pics up soon....anyway, thanks for the help!!

Hope to become a full member soon too!
fearcity
Lubber

Re: Quick hello, and a few questions

Postby townsend » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:06 am

Fiberglass is denser than water, so unless there is some provision for buoyancy a fiberglass boat will sink if you capsize it. Class rules require that Albacores have a minimum of three floatation tanks each of which must be of a certain size and be filled with a minimum amount of foam. They must be sealed off from the rest of the boat and be watertight. See the class rules for details.

You probably have a Newport Albacore which were built with a stern buoyancy tank in addition to the two seat tanks and the bow buoyancy tank. Bottom line is that you want to make sure that all four of your tanks are leak free and do not take on water. The simplest way to determine this is to capsize the boat, immerse each tank for at least 5 minutes, and then open the bungs and the fiberglass doors and see if any water comes out. If it's less than half a litre per tank, you're ok (this is the minimum according to class rules). More than that you should find the leak and seal it.

It's normal to feel a bit of flexing in the floor of a boat of this vintage, especially when it's on the trailer. More modern boats (mid 80s and later) have a foam core construction and are much stiffer with little or no flex in the floor. I wouldn't get too exercised about this unless the flexing is excessive or you think it's going to fail soon.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "void" between the floor and the hull bottom. There are boats that have this (eg CL 16) but I've never heard of an Albacore with one. Possibly this is a modification? How thick is the hull bottom? Every Albacore I've seen it's under an inch.

I'm long past worrying about spider cracks in gelcoat. It's cosmetic, and if you stand back ten feet you can't see it.
Paul Townsend - Albacore 6040 - Michigan Albacore Fleet
townsend

Postby fearcity » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:30 am

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g33 ... ca5337.jpg

Here's a couple pics....have to do in two posts ....for some reason my phone doesn't like this website
fearcity
Lubber

Postby fearcity » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 am

fearcity
Lubber

Postby fearcity » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 am

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g33 ... 4306d2.jpg

Last one...sorry, if I write text, then try to add link, it mashes it all up..
fearcity
Lubber

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Albacore 5227 is in fact a Chicago Sailcraft boat built in 1972. You may want to note or connect with the builder. The following information was posted on the "For Sale" page of the USAA website:

Hey, from the sunny south,
I am interested in corresponding with any owners of a Chicago Sailcraft Albacore. My father built them and I am curious if any have survived the intervening decades.
Thanks for your time
Cheers!
Jamie Dodson,
Huntsville, AL
Mobile: 256-457-3275
jamie.dodson@nickgrantadventures.com

Your boat is a very nice example of a Chicago Sailcraft boat. About 32 of these boats were built between 1971 and 1973.

The buoyancy tanks are, as Paul commented, a class requirement to keep the boat afloat in the event of a capsize. In fact, there should be sufficient solid foam in the boat to keep it from sinking (this should not be removed, or should be replaced if removed for repairs). The air tanks under the seats and at bow and stern are to allow the boat to be self-rescued from a capsize. They should be sound and in good condition so they hold air without leaks. All Albacores have some form of these tanks (or air bags in similar positions). Only two North American built boats (that I can recall) have the stern tank: Newport (aka Sailing Dynamics) and Chicago Sailcraft. The stern tank gives good buoyancy in a capsize, but precludes the installation of transom scuppers to drain the water through the transom. Such boats need to have good large suction bailers on the floor to allow them to self-drain while sailing after a capsize.

It is not normal for there to be a void between outer hull skin and inner cockpit floor. Most Albacores were built with a single skin, so there is no place for such a void. I have not inspected a Chicago Sailcraft boat in a long time, but based on your description they may have been built with an outer skin and inner liner that incorporated the seats and maybe the centerboard case. IF this is the case the inner liner may have delaminated from the outer skin. This will be a problem as water can collect there. I would contact Jamie Dodson to see what he might know about the construction of your boat. If it was built with two layers and they were bonded together, I would look at ways to dry the void area and rebound.

Peter

Return to General Discussion