View topic - Albatross/Albacore

Albatross/Albacore

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

Albatross/Albacore

Postby donbingley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:39 pm

My Albacore started life as Albatross #160. The story I've heard is RCYC loved the wooden Albacores imported from Britain but wanted fiberglass for durability. Whitby yachts, concerned of intellectual copyright, pulled a plug from a wooden one and set up a separate entity to manufacture a slightly modified fiberglass boat and called it the Albatross. My Albatross was measured as an Albacore by George Crowe in Toronto circa 1968, and sailed out of A.B.Y.C. I've sailed "Gamin" in Burlington Bay since roughly 1975. She now has been updated replacing the steel plate C/B with aluminum (wow) and I glassed in some longitudinal stiffeners because the bottom flexed big time. I replaced the beaver tail rudder with a stiff non kick up that was fabricated from spruce then fiber glassed. There is insufficient buoyancy in the bow so when dumped one must really bail like crazy to get the level below the top of the C/B trunk. The mast has no taper. In heavy weather one needs to hike hard, really really hard.

BSBC sail school has Albatross/Albacore 125 with Tom Taylor sails but it is not sailed now.

I have saved a copy of the original sales brochure showing "A" in the sail and not the "A" with the long tail as is the present Albacore insignia. The back of the brochure lists features such as a STEEL C/B, faired at edges and cotton sheets, not to mention a C/B winch.
Cheers
Don
donbingley
Lubber

Re: Albatross/Albacore

Postby townsend » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:28 am

Sounds cool. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Paul Townsend - Albacore 6040 - Michigan Albacore Fleet
townsend

Re: Albatross/Albacore

Postby townsend » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:51 am

Don,

You asked about how to post pictures. The way I do it is to place the image files on a webserver and then use the Img button to include it in your message.

There are lots of free picture hosting sites (see http://email.about.com/od/freeimagehost ... -Sites.htm) or you can email the pictures to me and I'll put them up on my server.

You can also try the "upload attachment" option. Just click the "Upload attachment" and browse to the image file. For instance, here's a picture of a spherical cow for all the physicists in the audience:
Attachments
sphericalCow.jpg
Paul Townsend - Albacore 6040 - Michigan Albacore Fleet
townsend

Return to General Discussion