View topic - Couple of sail questions re old M&C boat

Couple of sail questions re old M&C boat

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

Couple of sail questions re old M&C boat

Postby BobW » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:57 am

Spring appears to have arrived and my hull is patched and painted - almost ready to put into the water and check for leaks.

Just for fun, I fitted the mast and took the sails from their bags for the first time revealing further mysteries relating to rigging trends that have appeared since last time I handled a two-sailed boat.

Firstly, referring to the picture below, there is a mechanism for adjusting the tack of the jib that I just can't figure out. It would appear to be something that is set when rigging the boat rather than to be played with while sailing. The arrangement looks as though it was put together by the sailmaker (Elvstrom) but its purpose/significance is beyond me. Can anyone advise?

Secondly, I noticed that much of the jib leach is unhemmed. Is this normal? The sails are now "well matured" and there is a little bit of fraying along the unseamed edges (though much less than I would expect). I presume this is a design feature intended to promote smooth airflow across the sail but does a time come when a bit of tape should be added to the leach?

Any comments on the above would be much appreciated!
Attachments
015_un.JPG
015_un.JPG (109.76 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
BobW
Crew Member

Re: Couple of sail questions re old M&C boat

Postby townsend » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:07 pm

The line in the picture is called the jib cunningham. It's purpose is to tension the luff of the sail. You want a bit of tension, but not so much that the luff is "deformed". Try pulling it really tight and you'll see a wrinkle along the length of the luff - you don't want that, so ease it a bit. If it's too loose, you won't be able to point as high. The proper setting varies by wind strength - more wind -> tighter jib cunningham.

Many (most?) competitive boats have his control lead into the cockpit so you can adjust it while sailing. For cruising, it's not a crucial adjustment, so I'd say if you set it snug but not tight you'll be fine.

As for the un-hemmed jib leach, that's normal. It'll fray a bit as the sail ages, but I've never felt a need to do anything about it - for racing, it means it's time for a new sail, and for cruising it doesn't really matter. (c:
Paul Townsend - Albacore 6040 - Michigan Albacore Fleet
townsend

Postby BobW » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:13 am

"Jib cunningham" - I had tried searching the internet using terms like "jib adjustment", "jib downhaul" and got nowhere. It seems to me that the way it is set up as in the photo is in error: tightening the line simply pulls the two cringles together which is obviously not what is intended. I will re-rig it appropriately. Bringing the line back to the cockpit makes sense but will probably be something for next year after I work out how to use all the other lines I'm going to be having clogging up the self-bailers.

Thank you also for the reassurance regarding jib leach seams. New(er) sails would be nice, but again they will have to wait for the time being.

Actually, I'm quite keen on the racing business, but financial resources are limited. Fortunately, my local club uses a personalized handicap system which means that the winner is the crew who improves most season to season rather than who has the fastest boat. Nevertheless, I will be working hard trying to beat the Tasar which does seem to spend a lot of the time leading the way round the marks!
BobW
Crew Member

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:02 am

Hi Bob,

Looks like Paul's comments have put you on the right path.

My "rule-of-thumb" for initial trim of a jib cunningham for racing is to let it completely loose. Take note that there will be horizontal wrinkles running perpendicular to the luff of the jib. Pull on tension until those wrinkles start to disappear. If you put on so much tension that they disappear all together, or you develop a fold parallel to the luff (as Paul describes) then you have put on too much tension. The amount of tension will vary with wind strength- generally more tension as the wind increases.

Sailmakers started "hot-cutting" the leach of racing jibs in the 1970's. As you guessed, it gives a cleaner exit flow over the sail. As the sail flutters and ages the melted Dacron starts to break off allowing the leach to fray a bit. I've never tried resealing the edge... I think that risks making it worse than leaving it as is. But a sail maker could probably clean it up and give you a few more years of life (in trade for a few less millimeters of sail area). Unless it is getting really ragged, I'd probably just use it as is and look to buy a new jib in time.

What is your boat/sail number and where are you located? I think you'll find the Albacore a very competitive boat for handicap racing. Keep your questions coming.

Peter

Postby BobW » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 am

Your notes are much appreciated - it does seem that I will be spending a good bit of time this season in simply tuning the rig and trying to get a basic feel for my boat in various conditions.

My sail number is 4504, and I live in Owen Sound (2½ hrs north of Toronto and where my boat originated, so I see) and sail with the Red Bay Sailing Club on Lake Huron. Judging from the variety of unoccupied holes scattered from stem to transom she was at one time owned by an enthusiast who rearranged fittings on a regular basis. I look forward to continuing this tradition.

Thank you for inviting further questions and I’m sure there will be many more once I actually get afloat. In the meantime, this Forum’s archives have been a tremendous help in explaining the fundamentals of just how Albacores are expected to work.

Bob
BobW
Crew Member

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 am

Bob,

You have a one of the later versions of the M&C built Albs. They were good boats- quite competitive in their day. Haven't seen one racing for a long time, but I'd expect you can get it going well enough to have some real fun. A few years ago the Canadian championship was held at Meaford. The Ontarios will be at Parry Sound (first weekend in June). A good way to get engaged in the class is to show up at a big regatta with camera and note pad in hand. Most sailors will be glad to tell you about their Albacore and the latest thing they have done to make if go a bit faster. You could probably convince the organizers to allow you to buy dinner and join the sailors... it is a great crowd and meeting other enthusiasts is the quickest way to get engaged in the fun.

I live in USA but sail at our Muskoka cottage in the summer. Hope to see you some time soon.

Peter

Postby townsend » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:07 am

You are correct - I did not look at the picture very carefully, but as rigged your jib cunningham won't do much of anything. Re-rig it so that it pulls the luff of the sail downwards towards the stem fitting. Again, it's not a critical setting.
Paul Townsend - Albacore 6040 - Michigan Albacore Fleet
townsend

Postby BobW » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 am

As I look further, what I thought to be a missing bolt in the stem hardware looks as though it is actually a fairlead to guide a line to a jamcleat of previously unknown function under the foredeck. In other words, it looks like it was set up for cockpit control of the jib cunningham and I will rig accordingly.

I look forward to visiting Parry Sound this coming June to see how "real" Albacores are laid out!

Tried hoisting the mainsail yesterday (on dry land) and note there is a length of fishing line that emerges from the leach, runs along the foot to a piece of velcro a couple of feet back from the tack. I presume this is a leach-curl-control mechanism of some kind?

Bob
BobW
Crew Member

Postby JJHall » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:38 am

Bob,

That line must be what we call the 'leech line' which can tighten the leech and control the curl as you call it. I'm only familiar with current sails which have this line led to a plastic cleat just above the clew of the sail.

In regard to the Ontario Championship in Parry Sound you are encouraged to come have a look and even participate if you'd like. We were going to have a 'cottage class' sub category in the regatta but in the end omitted it from the NOR. I am the regatta chair, message me if you would like to participate, get out on one of the committee boats or have any questions.

Thanks,
Jefferson Hall
JJ Hall - OHCC
8172 - Hall'n
JJHall

Return to General Discussion