View topic - Gedgeon replacement - Skene Albacore

Gedgeon replacement - Skene Albacore

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

Gedgeon replacement - Skene Albacore

Postby dgibbin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey all,

I took 6906 out for a shake down cruise today (winds 15 to 20) good day for a kansas early sail.

At the conclusion of the sail, I noticed that my top gudgeon has a crack (6906 Skene Albacore).

Will anyone recommend a replacement source or alternative for same? Its not completely gone . . . yet, but the weather here has been especially kind to sailors and I hate to even think about losing a day to a critical part that can be replaced in advance with knowledgeable Albacore sailors like yourselves.

Any help is much appreciated.

David Gibbin
6906 Albacore
dgibbin

Re: Gedgeon replacement - Skene Albacore

Postby townsend » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:58 pm

I lost the lower gudgeon on 6040 last season during a race. On my boat, the top connection is a pintle on the rudder and a gudgeon on the boat; the lower connection is the opposite, so I lost the gudgeon on the rudder. I don't think this arrangement is standard, so simply saying "albacore replacement gudgeon" won't get you very far. Do you need a fitting that attaches to the rudder head or something that attaches to the boat?

After some searching, I did find replacement fittings for the rudder head (one pintle and one gudgeon) but it was not in the catalog - it took about a half-hour conversation with the sales guy at APS to find it. Anyway, what worked for me was just the fittings off of this RWO rudder head http://www.apsltd.com/c-120-rwo-rudder-heads.aspx - the fittings themselves aren't in the catalog, but they are available as replacement parts. They weren't cheap or easy to adapt to my rudder head, and were I to do it over I'd have just replaced the entire rudder head.

My recommendations is to take some digital pictures and some careful measurements (rudder head width, pin diameter, etc.) and see if anything in the APS catalog is a direct replacement. If not, call them and see if they can help (i.e. find something that's not in their regular catalog)

Good Luck!

BTW, look carefully at the crack, it might not be a problem at all - my gudgeon was cracked for years without any adverse effects, or I should say that the plastic inside the steel was cracked. The eventual failure was not related to the cracked plastic.
Paul Townsend - Albacore 6040 - Michigan Albacore Fleet
townsend

Postby dgibbin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 am

Paul,

Thanks for your vetting of your issue - I found a replacement from an English supplier - Barton - referred to them via Pete and Barney - my setup is the same as yours, btw. I ordered the replacement out of Canada - no stateside distributor - $7.80 Canadian - shipping was 2X that.

I haven't received the part, but will post its fit once I get it and am able to see how close or right it is.

Another question for you - I have a kick up wooden rudder blade - it has a tendency to ride up under certain conditions - big wind; got any clever ideas on how to keep that blade down other than tightening the heck out of the through bolt in the rudder head?

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

David Gibbin
dgibbin
dgibbin

Postby townsend » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Apologies for the delay in replying...

I struggled for years to find a system that would hold the rudder down. The solution that worked is some heavy duty shock cord as part of the rudder downhaul. Pull it tight and cleat it, and the elasticity in the cord will hold the rudder where it's supposed to be, yet it will still kick up if you hit bottom. Prior to that I had tried a variety of high-tech low stretch lines, but could never get them tight enough.

I'm not sure if you have the same tiller as I do, but mine has an upsweep about 4 inches forward of where it exits the rudder head. If the cleat for the rudder downhaul is located forward of this, it pulls the tiller down and it hits the gunwales, so the cleat has to be on the first four inches of the tiller. This gives very little room to work with so it was a bit of an engineering challenge. I can post a picture if you'd like.

Meanwhile, check out these two threads:

http://usaa.albacore.org/forum/viewtopi ... 781&p=4952
http://usaa.albacore.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=702

The post by Peter Duncan on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:41 am was particularly helpful.
Paul Townsend - Albacore 6040 - Michigan Albacore Fleet
townsend

Postby Chrisgo3 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:37 pm

David, the rudder pennant should be a fixed line unless you are constantly in shallow water. There are diagrams on the website of how it should be run to keep good tension. Holding the rudder on land, if you sight down the hole in the rudder gudgeon along the pintle you should just see the tip of the rudder. Most setups are about an inch further back, change this, it makes a tremendous difference to reduce the rudder pull.
[BINARY BLOB DATA]
Chrisgo3

Return to General Discussion