View topic - Novice needs advice

Novice needs advice

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

Novice needs advice

Postby JGD989 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:07 am

I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me. My friend has got me interested over this past summer in sailing, went out a few times and got the bug I guess you could say. I even went out in 5 degree Celsius weather with 8 degree Celsius water, one of my more memorable sail of the year.

I know of a camp who is trying to get rid of an Albacore they have, they no longer have anyone on staff who knows how to sail the boat and because of that it has been neglected over the past 2 years. The shrouds are attached with rusty nails... The boat, mast and boom seem to be in fairly good condition (The boat was made in 91). My thought is trying to get the boat for pretty cheap and then buying new hardware for a basic set up on the boat. How cheap do you think I should be able to get the boat for and how much would a new set up cost? (I am a poor student)

Also for a first boat how good are the Albacores? I have seen some mixed reviews, some say they are clunky and need a crew. Is it true they are better for bigger lakes and bigger wind? Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I want to spend the little money I have wisely. I should probably add in that I have taken my intro to cruising course off the coast of British Columbia. My buddy and I spent 4 days with an instructor sailing a 35 foot crusier. So I have a basic understanding of sailing. Again your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Josh
JGD989
Lubber

Re: Novice needs advice

Postby JimE1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:00 pm

Josh,
On the price, I would say check out craigslist to get an idea of what you can get for a given price. As far as rigging goes, you can spend $500 pretty quickly if you choose. The key is to look at it and figure out what is the least you need to do to get out sailing. You can always do the other nice things later. Things I have done w old boats to save money.. tie the outhaul at the end of the boom w a knot instead of having anything adjustable, I have tied job halyards to various fittings and tied knots, I have tied the main up at the top of the mast when I did not have a halyard. I have used a straight piece of line and a knot for a vang. I think you can see where I am going w these ideas.

I don't think there is anything clunky about an albacore. It sails well in light and heavy air. The albacore is a two person boat, but can be single handed by a competent sailor.

Get the boat if it looks sailable and you think it will provide you enjoyment and it fits your budget. Remember, there is no lead keel in these boats. They will capsize if not handled properly. Pick your time of year and your first venues wisely and safely. Practicing a capsize is always a good thing to do when you are new. Do it near shore where you can stand up in case things don't work out as planned.

Good Luck, have fun.
JimE1

Postby townsend » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:27 am

If they're truly trying to get rid of it, tell them you're interested in taking it off their hands and see if they'll give it to you for free. If they don't go for that, offer a couple of hundred. It's probably worth up to ~$2000 to the right buyer, but finding the right buyer can take a loooooong time, so if they're really interested in getting rid of it they should price it appropriately.

As for what it will cost to fix it up, if you're just interested in going day sailing (i.e. not racing) and are willing to invest some sweat equity you can probably keep the budget under $100. Line is fairly cheap and so is stainless hardware. You can do a lot with 100' of 3/16" line and ten bucks worth of stainless nuts and bolts. One thing I would recommend is replacing the shrouds (~$60-70) and carefully inspecting the hardware where the shrouds attach to the boat. A failure here can break the mast, so be penny-wise and pay to replace/repair these critical items.

As Jim says, there's nothing "Clunky" about the Albacore. Yes, there are faster boats out there, but they're correspondingly more difficult to sail and less comfortable. I've sailed lots of boats in the 15' range, and there's nothing else out there that combines the performance, comfort, and ease of sailing as well as the Alb. You don't need big water or big wind to have fun in an Albacore - I mostly sail on a lake that's less than a mile across - but it handles big wind and big water very well for a boat it's size.
Paul Townsend - Albacore 6040 - Michigan Albacore Fleet
townsend

Postby LeonorHart » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:56 am

I think Albacores is pretty good. The quality-price ratio is quite appropriate, but it depends on the seller. Browse the web to find a cheap boat, but make sure it is in a good condition. Stay safe :)
LeonorHart
Lubber

Return to General Discussion