View topic - HELP! 50 Albacores for sale

HELP! 50 Albacores for sale

General Forum for Discussing All Things Albacore

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:19 pm

Hi Folks;

I have the opportunity to bid on some surplus albacores. I only want five. The problem is that I have to bid on 55 to get my five, because they are being sold in a lot.

I am inspecting the boats early next week, so I should have a better idea of their condition/rigging, as well as some pictures I could email to interested people. My bid must be placed before the fourth of July, and I should know by the fifth if it has been accepted.

My problem is, If I do win the bid, my wife will KILL me if I try to stow 55 sailboats in the backyard.

Is anyone looking to buy an extra albacore? As far as I can tell from the pictures I've seen so far, These are Ontario Yacht Albacores, produced in the 1980's. They come with sails and spars, although some of them may be missing rudders. of the 55, I'm sure at least 33 are complete, and the others should be good for parts/hulls/rebuilding.

IF the boats pass my inspection, and IF I win the bid, I will be looking to sell the extra boats as quickly and inexpensively as I can. You would be responsable to come to New Brunswick to pick them up, but the cost would make it well worth your while.

If you think you may be interested in buying one,please reply to this message, or to my private email (you should find it in my profile) so I can gage the possible interest. No pressure, I don't expect a commitment to buy, just an indication of the interest that may or may not be there. I will be happy to send pictures as soon as I have them.

Cheers;

Bob GracieBonden38892.2037847222

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:51 am

I should have specified in my post...

The boats will be in Moncton, New Brunswick, CANADA if I win the bid. If you want one (or more!) you will have to arrange shipping or come up and get them.Bonden38892.2044560185

Postby henry » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:07 am

Hmm...sounds like military sailing school boats. In standard issue military grey, no doubt.

You might not be that impressed. However if they have tapered masts and deep section booms (unlikely) they might be worth salvaging for parts.
henry

Postby bigbad » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:19 am

I could possibly be interested in about 4 of them. I know the boats and have seen them on the public auction web site.

I am however not interested of keen of drive out east to pick up hence my reason for not bidding on them myself. I can store and sell as many as you can drop off at my marina.

jeffbeitz@sympatico.ca

you can email me should you wish to discuss and i can share my personal thoughts on what they are worth.

Jeff

Jeff
bigbad

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:07 pm

I think you are right about them being military sail training boats. They are at a base in Nova Scotia. As for what shape they are in, I will see for myself early this week.

I fully expect some dogs in the batch, but some of the hulls do look pretty good. There are some pictures online, which I have uploaded with this message. I will take some pictures of my own and share a link to them this week, so you can judge for yourselves what they look like.

Postby VanS » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:53 am

I'd be interested to see photos of the spars and foils.  If you could get some photos of the centreboards, rudders, booms and masts (particularly the tips of the masts) when you go to see the boats that would be good. 
VanS

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:45 pm

Thanks Bessie;

It looks like I won't be able to see them before this weekend. I thought I had to have my bid in before Monday next week, but I actually have a few more days before I must decide on the bid. I was hoping someone would give me suggestions about what they would like to see photographed, so I appreciate your input. I will take as many pictures as I can of the things you mentioned. If you (or anyone else) can think of something else I could photograph, please let me know.

Once I have the pictures, I will post a link to where you can see them on the web, so as not to clog up this site.

Thanks again;

Bob

Postby Geo_88 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:55 pm

You say 1980's Ontario Yachts Albacores, do you know more precisely?  I have a rather old Albacore and it might be time for a newer one...  It sort of depends on the condition/price of the boat. Let me know how the inspection went, or if you are still planning on bidding on them at all.  Thanks
George
Geo_88

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:56 pm

Hi Geo 88;

They were built in 1989. If you look at the link in my other thread (50 albacores-pictures) you can get an idea of the condition of the boats. The ones I will be selling are generally in very good shape. There are some junkers which will go straight to the dump!

Yes I will bid on the boats, but of course, the most expensive part will be moving the boats from where they are to where I am. I won't know if I won the bid until the middle of next week.

I'll post another message to let people know if I won.

Bob

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:48 am

Hi Folks;

I finally received word that I did not win the bid. I was hoping to make the boats and parts available to clubs and members at a reasonable cost, but alas, it is not to be.

I have no way of knowing who finally did win the bid, but I hope they discover this wonderful, helpful list, and that the good boats do show up for sale here.

Thanks everyone for your support and interest, especially Peter Duncan who was so helpful with information on how to safely transport the boats, and measurements.

I'm sorry things didn't work out this time, but I've learned alot about the bidding process, and you never know what could happen in the future if more good boats become available...

Bob

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:46 pm

Bonden:
I belive the winner was out of Halifax actually?
Anyhow most of the boats were bought up by the local yacht club in Shelburne N.S. from the winning bidder.
I picked up a 1990 Ontraio Yacht Hull in very good shape- tapered mast etc..
The learn to sail program here and many in the community about 35 boats will hopefully fill the harbourr next summer...
I really enjoy the thread and plan on reading all the posts to learn about these boats.
AT

Postby townsend » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:08 pm

Well, that is very good news. I had visions of somebody buying the lot, crushing the hulls and selling the hardware on Ebay.

Enjoy your new toy - my Albacore is by far the best toy I've ever owned.
townsend

Postby Ryan B. » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:28 pm

Hey i'm one of the owners of one of the Albacores that were purchased. They are here in Shelburne N.S. and alot of them needed work but not too much work just some fiberglassing and such.
Ryan B.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:51 am

Ryan and others-

Hope this website gives you what you need to fix up all the Albacores. There are lots of great articles on rigging and repair in the Albacourier section. Hope you will post your boats on the Albacore Registry. If you have questions post them here on this forum and we will try to assist.

Then when you get it all together, consider coming to a regatta or inviting other Albacores to join you for a meet or two. Sure it is a long commute, but I've never visited your part of the world. With proper notice we could get a small group to make a vacation of it sailing with the Albacores in Maine and New England one weekend and then come on over to Shelburne the next weekend.

Glad to have you all in the class and look forward to photos and tales of Albacore sailing out east.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:34 pm

Thanks Peter
We will be trying to organize ourselves over the winter and try to get everybody rigged out. By the late spring we should be in the water to some extent getting the feel for these boats. To my knowledge there hasn't been any Albacores around this immediate (Shelburne County) until the adopted fleet was carted home.
AT
 atlantic trader38994.650462963

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:36 pm

I went by Ryan's place today and see that his boat is in real good shape and had some very clean fibreglass work done. It appears that he may have even had it out for a rip...

Next

Return to General Discussion